Monday, May 18, 2015

The 2015 Yard in Progress

I love flowers, the more colorful the better.  For years and years, I couldn't grow them, and anything I touched died on contact.  As I've gotten older, my brown thumb has turned green, and it has become so much fun putting things in the ground!

So far, we have a bit out and are impatiently waiting for flowers.  I am the kind to put the seed in the dirt and expect a fully matured plant in 2 hours.  Thankfully, there's nurseries with pretty plants already blooming that can fill the gap while waiting on seeds.

These photos were taken probably 2 weeks or so ago, and the rains have really picked up so they've changed and grown significantly since....

The white irises came from our next door neighbor, who shared them with a previous tenant here.  They are just starting to bloom.

Lemon Balm, 3rd year growth

Oregano, 2nd year

Lemon Thyme, 2nd year

Oregano I started from seed, 3rd year growth

starters for morning glories

Center of front yard, with petunias, peonies, lilies, gladiolas, and zinnia and sunflower seeds

Middle son's sunflower seeds he planted in another bare spot in the yard.

Transplanted irises that won't bloom until next spring.  Also Asiatic lilies, a small mum, petunias, and peppermint

Peppermint, Tiger lilies, petunias, zinnia seed, coneflowers and our younger cat.  The blocks are 1 foot across each, so there's a lot of peppermint growing there!


Lots of chocolate mint by the steps, red salvia, petunias, tiger lilies, cone flowers, periwinkle, marigold seedlings, zinnia seedlings.  Petunias in pots, and the big pots have bush morning glories and basil.

This was once a tree.  Someone before us planted peppermint around it.  There's also a cactus, crocus, gladiolas, and weeds.

Yuccas have been there a while, and the lilies are transplanted in from Papa's.  

Mint.  lots of mint.

Lots of chocolate mint.  

Petunias and the big pot is bush morning glory in the same shade of blue/purple as the petunias






I've added more since the photos, such as basil, bee balm, a 2 1/2 foot wide hosta, and some already blooming marigolds, and an English Ivy inside the house to vine around.

What flowers are you growing this year?

If you'd like to have Sunny Patch delivered to your inbox, click to subscribe today!
Subscribe to Sunny Patch Cottage by Email




Print Friendly and PDF

7 comments:

  1. Hey, what great photos and I just love the look of your porch and the pots on it. What a lovely yard you have and the green grass is so nice. Thanks for sharing all these photos. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) It's rained tons lately, and it has really greened up more, and everything has shot up significantly. The sunflowers are a foot tall now, the peonies bloomed, the tiger lillies have buds on them, as do the Asiatic lilies and the cone flowers (echinacea). I ended up harvesting the mint when it got as tall as the tiger lilies, and dried it all in the oven at 200 degrees F. I have some more petunias to put out, and hoping to put out a red or yellow rose. Papa wants to send over a lot more irises and lilies too. We rent, so at some point we'll have to leave it all behind, but we want to make it pretty while we're here. And we love flowers!!

      Delete
  2. I hope I've figured out how to comment again...just stopped by to say hi. Love & prayers, in Jesus, Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cynthia, I don't think it's you... I sometimes turn off the little extra word thing to verify that folks aren't spambots, and when I do I'll get all kinds of things to sift through with ads for garlic or garcinagen or something like that...diet things.... So I end up turning it back on. It's an annoyance to have to put up the extra security thingy because of spammers.

      Delete
  3. Hey there Angie, I have heard that there are floods your way and I am hoping you are all okay. Praying for you all. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI! Thank you for thinking of me :) We're water logged but doing ok here. We have a lot of standing water in the back yard and the fields are pretty overloaded. We have had rain ever single day for a good 3 weeks. Things are sure growing, but it's also very soggy. Out in the west central part of our state (Kansas) there is lots of flooding, as in entire fields look like the ocean complete with white capped waves. I saw the same over in Missouri yesterday, so much water you couldn't tell what was planted. The rivers are of course up and many past flood stage. Down in Oklahoma and Texas they've had horrible horrible devastation for the 19-24 inches plus of rain. Needless to say a lot of the area in the central part of the US is no longer in drought conditions. Many of us would love to ship some of it out to California where they need it. Hubby and I expect that wheat prices will go up, as it is very near wheat harvest and if it doesn't dry soon there won't much of a harvest--which will make flour and most other wheat based items go up.

      How are you all doing there?

      Delete
  4. Hey Angie, glad to hear that you are doing okay, wet but okay. I read your other post and I want to encourage you not to be disheartened about your weight gain. At least you have stopped it and are setting new goals, this is good. I hope that your camp goes well and I am so pleased that you are able to go when last year you couldn't have. What a long way you have come. Don't forget that. You are so awesome and such an encouragement to me and so many others.I hope that you dry out soon and that the farmers get a wheat harvest. We have started the year with little rain so it is going to be a bit tough, as we have rain now but it is cold so growth is minimal. We are still feeding out stock hay and hopefully things will improve. Unfortunately weather is something we can't change, we just need to accept it and move on I suppose. God knows what is going on and he is in control, what a wonderful thought. Be blessed my friend and have a good week xxxx and hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete

Your graceful comments are welcome!