Saturday, May 2, 2015

A Low Calorie Sweet Treat or Snack!



Yes, apples.

Well...I baked up a little ditty that gives the flavor of apple pie without the crust, butter, calorie overload.  I know it's not new, as Solomon said there's nothing new under the sun, but it sure tastes good.

First, grab some apples.  I used about 8 to 10 decently sized red delicious ones.  I bought 30 pounds of them today, on top of the full bin I already had--can't turn down a sale of about 5.5 to 6 pounds for $2, so I snatched up a rather large amount at our local owned grocery store.  I quartered, seeded, and peeled them, sliced them into probably half inch slices, and layered them in a baking dish sprayed with non stick spray.  After layering lots of them in there, rather deep, I sprinkled on cinnamon, then baked at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.  You can easily add apple pie spice, vanilla, or other flavors and spices to suit your taste.  Pull them out, sweeten to taste.  If you use some Granny Smiths or other varieties they are pretty sweet and may not need anything.

You can also leave the skin on, and instead of quartering, core out the middle, add your spices and a dash of vanilla, maybe a little brown sugar or brown sugar blend, and bake that way.

The first pan of these went in under 10 minutes.  So, I have 2 more full pans (a lot more apples) in the oven baking away.  I've been encouraging the family to eat more fruits, and this is a good way to get them do to so.

Also, we've been encouraging apples with a spoon of peanut butter for the 2 kids who don't have a peanut allergy.  It's got the apple's fiber and the protein from the peanut butter, and it seems to help tame the tapeworms.

I guess you could call this gluten free as well. :)

This is really simple, but it seems satisfying, and it's *almost* like having apple pie, but without the excess calories.


Shared with:  Strangers and Pilgrims on Earth, Darling Downs Diaries

If you'd like to have Sunny Patch delivered to your inbox, click to subscribe today!
Subscribe to Sunny Patch Cottage by Email




Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

  1. This sounds great and we loved baked apples as well. I am just about to post an apple crumble recipe but I don't think it is gluten free but you could make it sugar free :-). Apples are such a versatile fruit and most often supply their own sweetness. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing at Good Morning Mondays. Blessings xxx

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing this on the Art of Home-Making Mondays. I am always looking for healthy but tasty recipes ;)

    ReplyDelete

Your graceful comments are welcome!