Monday, April 13, 2015

His Grace is Sufficient

Today has been one of those days.  

I'm sure we've all had them at some point, where the hurried morning routine goes...well...in a rush...  
All looks like it'll be great...

Then disaster strikes.

For us that disaster usually ends up being our middle child (13) freaking out when the bus pulls up to the driveway for him.  He cries "I don't want to go", screams a high pitch scream, and runs for the porch, and anyone in his path he attacks head on.  It's usually me.  Today it was his stepsister.  

This is almost on schedule, revolving around visits to his dad's 3 hours away and in the next state.  It's been happening a lot lately, and it leads to more interactions with outside agencies in which we don't really want a lot of contact with in that manner.  Thankfully, almost everyone in contact with him understands his limitations.  They get that he has autism, that he has mild mental retardation, and bi polar disorder, and treat him accordingly.  When he has these meltdown sessions, it's like a different child emerges, one full of rage, fear, anxiety, that can't handle the day to day activities of life, and definitely couldn't handle the real consequences of actions if he were treated as an average 13 year old doing the same actions.  

Most days he is the sweetest boy, with lots of hugs and "I love you's", likes to tickle and play around, is goofy and silly.  He talks a few miles a minute and makes all kinds of interesting noises, and laughs a lot.  Then on some days, the "other" side of him emerges and we have to rely on God's grace to get through.

Today is one of those days.

Today, I decided to let him hear one of my prayers from his room, as I prayed for healing to his heart for whatever is hurting him.  I prayed for him to have peace, healing, rest, and protection.  I cried the entire time.  

He did too, and then fell into a deep sleep for an hour or so.

God's grace helped him find some rest and peace, and he awoke calm, able to handle a 15 mile drive to school, and continue through his day.  

God's grace has helped us with the stress of the day, as other pressures have mounted since just this morning that had to be addressed.  

Today, we had another glimpse into the power of prayer, and the sufficiency of His grace.

Isaiah 26:3 - Thou wilt keep [him] in perfect peace, [whose] mind [is] stayed [on thee]: because he trusteth in thee.

Philippians 4:6 - Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

John 16:33 - These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

I am so thankful that the Lord puts His Word about peace, about mercy, about grace, where I can find them.  As parents with special needs children, we need them daily.  

I know I am not alone, there are many many special needs parents out there who need that daily dose of peace.  

For you, special needs parent (and non-special needs parent), a great big hug....





If you'd like to have Sunny Patch delivered to your inbox, click to subscribe today!
Subscribe to Sunny Patch Cottage by Email




Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. It's not easy....so glad our Father hears our cries for help! Hugs back to you Angie! Love & prayers, in Jesus, Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie,
    As a parent of a special needs child, I so understand your day. How difficult it can be but thankful this boy has you in his life. I like to tell how our special needs taught me how to be the best special ed teacher! I so understand the parents of special needs children after I myself have sat on that side of the table. Bless you and your husband, praying tomorrow is a peaceful day. God is good, always.

    ReplyDelete

Your graceful comments are welcome!