Sunday, January 11, 2015

Weight Loss Challenge Week 19

So we're well into January now.  No food and sweets holidays (woooohoooo!!).  We're getting back on a regular schedule, and it's nice to be back into a routine.  Granted it's a cold routine, but still a routine.

Oh how I've missed routine.

This week started with a check up at the clinic.  It was like Christmas!  Yes...seeing the doctor wasn't bad this time.  :)  I'd gained 2 pounds before Christmas, and that was taken off plus 4 more, so a 6 pound loss since just before Christmas, making it now 57 pounds down.

401-344=57.

They checked my A1C, and it's ran as high as 14 (way way way too high), and in the past year or two ran in the 7's and 8's.  Still, that's way too high.  In October when I went in, it was 6.1, which is about 150.  "Normal" is 90-120 give or take.  I came in at 5.3, or 110.  NORMAL!!!!  For the first time in many years, I came out normal!!  So, I can now taper off some of the meds to keep things on an even keel and not go too low.  Yahoo!!

And, my blood pressure has been high for years.  I've been on meds for it, but they made me so sleepy I stopped taking it.  This time, I came in at 128/82 without medicine and with a child in tow.  And after walking a mile to dvd before going in.

NORMAL range!!

So, it was a good check up.

Overall the eating has been on target, as has been exercise.  Basically back on track, one foot in front of the other.

I've learned something this week that may be of interest for folks who like flavored coffee--if you're using sugar free (or fully sugared) creamer, add in a drop of flavor paste.  These are in the baking aisle in your grocery store, with the spices usually, and range from orange, caramel, mint, root beer, and so on.  Some are very fluid, some are a paste.  I buy the paste as it's quite concentrated.  I flavor my coffee in the mornings with sugar free vanilla creamer as a base, and add in a drop of concentrated flavor extract, and it is so much less expensive than buying all the different kinds of flavored creamers.  If you like peppermint patties, simply use a chocolate base (with or without sugar) and add in a drop of mint extract.  There are many combinations available and the extracts have negligible calories, and a little goes a long long way!  Also, adding a shake of cinnamon makes a difference, as does apple pie spice, pumpkin pie spice, and other "comfort" scents--it makes the morning brew a little more luxurious for next to nothing.

How are you doing so far?  What are you goals for this year?

I hope you all have a great week!!


If you'd like to have Sunny Patch delivered to your inbox, click to subscribe today!
Subscribe to Sunny Patch Cottage by Email




Print Friendly and PDF

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Keep it up. Please remember to come link up on Wednesdays at somuchathome.blogspot.com. Your story is an inspiration to me!
    God bless.
    Chris
    So Much At Home

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing on the blood sugar & blood pressure tests! ( I gained a bit over the holiday as well) It's encouraging to hear your good report! Love & prayers, in Jesus, Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cynthia! You are such an encouragement!

      Lots of hugs!

      Delete
  3. What great news on your health, it is wonderful, congratulations. Also congats on losing more weight you are doing an awesome job. The coffee you have sounds interesting, I don't know about any of those products here in Australia, but it sounds good. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Terri!

      The flavorings we use look like this:

      http://www.candyflavor.com/PG_Based_Candy_Flavor.html

      It works well with just a regular flavoring, but is also good in candies. In the grocery aisles there's some other brands and flavors too which work great.

      Thank you for your encouragement!

      Delete

Your graceful comments are welcome!