Monday, December 29, 2014

What Is The Root of Overeating? (part 1)

I've been doing lots of study on gluttony, overeating, and what the Bible has to say about both.  It has stepped on my toes something awful, made me squirm, and even backed away from it for a while.  Regardless, the Bible says what the Bible says and I can't ignore it.

Did I mention it stepped on my toes?

So, take it as you will.  This is what I gleaned from my studies.  Your thoughts and mine may well be totally different, and you may not like what I'm about to write.  That's ok too.

I do have to say that while the things I'm about to put on here stepped on my toes and made me squirm, they were what I needed to read, to learn, to hear from God.

I hope what is written here will help you as well in some way.

First, we need to know the definition of gluttony.

According to Merriam Webster the definition is:  the act or habit of eating or drinking too much, or (1) excess in eating or drinking or (2) greedy or excessive indulgence


So, we've established the definition.  Now, we shall establish what the Bible says about gluttony.  The word itself isn't in the Bible much, but the definition and various words that *do* mean gluttony are there.

Deuteronomy 21:20--And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.

Philippians 3:19--Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.

Proverbs 23:20--Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh;

Proverbs 23:2--And put a knife to thy throat, if thou be a man given to appetite.

Proverbs 23:21--For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty:  and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags.

Psalms 78:18--And they tempted God in their heart by asking meat for their lust.

And there are many more (I printed out 7 pages worth).

The way it looks, the bible doesn't look to favorably upon gluttony.

How do we make it to gluttony, to over eating, and to the 200, 300, 400, or more pounds?  It doesn't happen over night.  It doesn't take a single candy bar, a single sugary soda, a day without exercise.

It builds.

It grows.

It expands like dust bunnies under the couch.

I've examined my own reasons for how I got to 400 pounds, and this may or may not apply to you, but here goes:  I've been prideful, arrogant.  "I'm not going to have some skinny young thing tell ME what to eat."  "I'm not going to bust my behind for hours in the gym and still have to do it the rest of my life."  I've also refused to submit to what the Lord would have for my health and body.

"Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?"  (I Corinthians 3:16)


Ouch.

So in my pride and refusing to submit to the Lord's wishes, I've allowed myself, one bite at a time, one refusal to move at a time, to become a glutton.

That's a hard one to get a hold of.  No one who loves the Lord wants to admit either one of those, myself included.

Seems almost too simple, doesn't it?  No big philosophical thing, no big studies or anything involved here.  All that took was asking the Lord to point out what needed to be changed, and how.

We'll get to "how" in the next part, if you're up to reading after all this!

I did the "how" in September, back in the beginning of my weight loss challenge...it was the turning point that really changed my world....and no regrets!

If you'd like to have Sunny Patch delivered to your inbox, click to subscribe today!
Subscribe to Sunny Patch Cottage by Email




Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

  1. That one about "whose God is their belly" makes me think! I don't want my appetite to rule me...but sometimes I let it. I think of confessing our sins ( 1 John 1 ) & He is faithful to forgive us & cleanse us from all unrighteousness. I think these verses are just what we need Angie. Thanks for sharing! Love & prayers, in Jesus, Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that one was on my list too, and oh how it has stepped on toes!

      And you're right--we start with the confession of our sin, and He is faithful to forgive and cleanse! Isn't that wonderful??!?? Then pray and ask the Lord to help us one minute at a time to do as He wishes instead of our own lust (like for food).... It's not easy, but sure helps when we get to the bottom of the issue, even if it does not make us happy.

      Lots of hugs!!

      Delete
  2. You have been such a blessing Angie:). Thank you for not being afraid to speak what's in the Bible. You're right, I don't like what it says about gluttony but I need to hear it. I'll be studying and praying about these verses.
    Hubby had a knee cartilege transplant on the 24th so it's been kinda quiet here. Praise God he is on the mend.

    Prayers and hugs,

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natalie! It's not easy to write these parts, knowing it will step on toes, especially mine. I'm having to wear the steel toes to do this one!

      How is hubby doing with his recovery?

      Delete

Your graceful comments are welcome!