Sunday, November 30, 2014

Weight Loss Challenge Week 13--After Thanksgiving!

It is now week 13 of the weight loss challenge!

This past week was Thanksgiving week, and it was a definite challenge to stay pretty close to on track as possible.

The food was awesome!  We partook in flan, pan de maiz, black beans and rice, garbanzos (made very flavorful), and Cuban candies, as well as all kinds of tropical fruits you just don't find in southern Kansas.  Then, we feasted on the homemade traditional Thanksgiving dinner, with turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, green beans with bacon, green bean casserole, corn casserole, made from scratch apple pie and pumpkin pie, deer roast, gravy, you name it.

I tried hard, and kept it to one plate with a small serving of most of the goods.  Then dessert was a small piece of flan (a sniff is about 100 calories, so a small piece is more than sufficient) and a small piece of apple pie.  The breakfast and supper was for me a banana for each, in order to help keep the calories down to be able to enjoy the feasting meal.

Throughout the week there were other opportunities to fall off track.  I worked at staying on the wagon.  I survived a trip to Golden Corral too--the first buffet I've been to in a long long while.  I made it through a lettuce salad with tuna salad on top and pears on the side, then half of a chicken breast piece of fried chicken and half of a serving of pasta and meaty sauce.  It was awesome!  This was an impromptu date night after hubby and I dropped the kids off for a visit with their biological mom (my son was with his biological dad) and hadn't left the city yet to head back to our little town.  It was worth the calorie rush to enjoy tuna salad--it is my favorite food, outranking pizza and ice cream.  I don't make it often since I can plow through a huge bowl of it in a day or two and not bat an eye.  Hubby enjoyed what I couldn't finish, so it didn't go to waste.  I don't like wasting, even if it's at a buffet, it just doesn't seem right.

I kept up with my goals on exercise, with a goal of at least 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week.  Most days I really try to go above that.  I averaged at least 2 miles a day, often going to 3, and once up to 5.  This is via the Leslie Sansone walk at home dvd's that add a lot more to the walking--it's a good cardio workout!  This week I picked up the "Radio Remixes" dvd Leslie has out, and have enjoyed walking quite fast to "I Like To Move It", among other songs.  I've enjoyed the music, as at least 2 of the songs are featured on kid movies we have--the Madagascar movie series--King Julien dances to "I Like To Move It" in each of the movies.  The other I really like is also the intro song to Cats and Dogs 2 featuring Kitty Galore.  So in walking to those songs, I get the mental image of King Julien and the lemurs dancing, and then the cats and dogs in Kitty Galore movie.







It's fun to walk and dance to a fast beat and end up laughing at yourself at the same time!  LOL  It  makes exercising all the more enjoyable!

This past week I also had an amazing blessing that I have to share.  You see, my wardrobe has become much too big due to all the weight I've shed so far.  I'd thinned out quite a bit of the clothing.  Money has been very tight, our budget doesn't usually allow for me to buy new clothing, let alone enough to make up for what I had to remove from the closet.  Then, God moved immensely, and using a wonderful lady (who is also our insurance agent and a member of our church), He provided a whole new wardrobe!  She contacted me about some clothes she had and asked if I was interested, if not she would take them to the local thrift shop.  I gladly accepted, figuring they were for the kids.  I had no idea they were adult plus sizes.  She stopped by with 3 large, very stuffed trashbags full of nice women's clothing!  As I sorted them, I cried--they were nearly all in the sizes I am currently in, and a few pieces in the next size down--my next goal!  I bawled for at least a half hour, and still get teary eyed--God provided a new wardrobe in the sizes I am at right now, with plenty of sweaters and warm clothing that are needed for winter months.  And get this--I'd not told a soul that I wanted to make myself a flannel nightgown to wear during the cold months.  A red plaid flannel nightgown was in the bag, in my size!  Isn't is awesome how God works???  I'm able to get into a non-stretchy 22/24 pants now, according to what was in the bags!  The knees really need work on my part, but I can get a 22/24 over my rear end and wear them with no problems, and very close to getting a 22 by itself fastened and zipped.  Last month I was painting on size 26 stretch jeans in the fitting room.  The tag on the largest skirts I have from Woman Within are 34/36 and need darts and such to keep from falling off my hips.  So in 3 months time I've went from a 34/36 bottom to a 22/24, and God provided the clothing to keep up!

Isn't God good???

Doesn't the Bible tell us not to worry about our clothing and food, that God takes care of all our needs?

I can't give up!  This has been the biggest encouragement, the big boost to keep on going, now that my closet is overflowing with much smaller clothing than what I started out in.  During the holidays I'm determined not to over do it and let go, not with the blessings God bestowed!!

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving, and have a great week ahead!  If you all are joining in on the weight loss, how are you doing in your journey?


If you'd like to have Sunny Patch delivered to your inbox, click to subscribe today!
Subscribe to Sunny Patch Cottage by Email



Print Friendly and PDF

6 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work! That is really awesome how God provided the clothes! Love & prayers, in Jesus, Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cynthia! Isn't it awesome how the Lord provides, and even better when He goes over the top about it! What really got me, was the night gown--He was the ONLY one who knew about that secret little "want". Not to mention it has changed my thoughts on the "skirts only" idea--He provided a good 15 to 20 pairs of pants, I'm of the idea maybe I should wear them--if God gives it, it must be ok. :)

      How are you doing so far? Did you have a good Thanksgiving with the kids?

      Delete
  2. What an Awesome God we serve! Thank you for sharing how God provided for you Angie. Keep up the great work:). Rough week for me, praying I can get back on track.

    blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes He is! In a group I'm in, we love sharing how we've been blessed and answers to prayers...this made the top of the list for a while!

      I think Thanksgiving and Christmas are rough weeks for a lot of folks. I had to say no a lot, and didn't want to as it was genuine offers, not just means to get me off track. Upside, we don't *have* to bring home the fattening, super sweet, etc...just a small serving works to satisfy, and a chance to endulge in a holiday goody. :) Keep up the good work, you're doing great!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful answer to your prayers and congrats on getting through thanksgiving, only Christmas to come and then the new year to refresh yourself and keep going. You are such an inspiration to me, thank you for that. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words! Here Thanksgiving is feasting akind to Christmas, lots and lots of food and sweets and all kinds of things fattening. I tried to keep from gaining anything, and even came out a pound lighter according to weigh in today! YAY!! Christmas looks to be a lot less on the foods, as we're planning more of a "Happy Birthday Jesus" party instead of the traditional feasting--the kids love the festivities when we do it as a birthday party celebrating Jesus's birth, and it gives us a break on the atrociously fattening foods. Ok except for the birthday cake, and ice cream, but I'm making the cake so I can control the content. :)

      Thank you for the encouragement! I don't know what I'd do if there wasn't so much encouragement coming from you and other readers here, on facebook, and here locally!

      Lots of hugs!

      Delete

Your graceful comments are welcome!