Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hi everyone!  I hope all of you who celebrate Thanksgiving are having a great one!

Here, we are enjoying a week with family that came to visit!  Hubby's uncles, aunt, and cousins came from Florida and are spending the week, and we are considering kidnapping and other means to keep them here.  (grins)  They are all Cuban, and I love them to pieces!

Hubby's aunt made from scratch some flan.  We haven't jumped into it yet, but it smells heavenly.  She also made some pan de mais and black beans and rice.  She is an awesome cook, and I've found some new favorite dishes!  I've been missing out all these years!

The family also brought with them fruits and avacados and things that you just don't get in Kansas.  Sure, we have the Haas ones, the little bitty wrinkled things, but they are nothing compared to the huge huge ones that the family brought!  They are like big green footballs!  And the fruits, so rich and addicting and absolutely not found in rural Kansas....

So far I've made the traditional Thanksgiving items, the green bean casserole, the corn casserole, candied sweet potatoes using fresh sweet potatoes from the garden, we have a turkey to bake in the morning, a deer roast has already been cooked and put away.  Mashed potatoes are done, there's gravy and stuffing to make too. Our pies are scratch ones, a cherry from fresh cherries I canned in the summer, apple, and pumpkin, and maybe something else if I get the notion.  There's also some Cuban treats the family brought, that look so sweet and delicious, to go along with the homemade flan and pan de mais.  Anyone who starves tomorrow with us does it on their own! 

Our Thanksgiving service on Tuesday was about how being thankful for everything is not a suggestion but a command.  "In ALL things give thanks".  That is a lesson we all need to take to heart, we all tend to forget or find reason not to give thanks.  It's hard to be thankful in the midst of hard trials....but as we were shown Tuesday, the bible does tell us to be thankful in all things...not just the good things or the comfortable things.  This is something I have to work on, as it's much easier to beg to be released from a trial than to give thanks for it.  Ouch!

Challenge wise, I've been sticking with plans as much as possible.  I keep track of calories--not strictly but pretty close--with "My Fitness Pal" program.  I programmed in 30 minutes of exercise 5x a week, and so far have exceeded that.  Even with the upcoming feasting, I've been working to keep under control as much as I can in order to have a "day off" for Thanksgiving, to enjoy the high carb food, the sweet, the savory, without guilt. My exercise has been the Leslie Sansone dvd's, as it is cold outside and I'm a wimp about exercising in the cold.  I use the 5 Mega Miles one for now, which uses a stretch band for 2 of the miles, and the rest are intervals of high impact and anywhere from 12 to 15 minute miles.  The kids have joined me in these while they are on vacation, and it's a giggle fest when they're doing these! 

I hope you have an awesome Thanksgiving!  Enjoy the day and relax, take a break, enjoy some pie and turkey! 

I'll see you again for the next weekly challenge update!






If you'd like to have Sunny Patch delivered to your inbox, click to subscribe today!
Subscribe to Sunny Patch Cottage by Email




Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. Thankful for family, friends, and blog friends! Happy Thanksgiving Angie to you and your family:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rejoicing with you Angie, in all your good reports! It's very sweet to hear how you are enjoying your husband's family. Keep up the good work! Love & prayers, in Jesus, Cynthia

    ReplyDelete

Your graceful comments are welcome!