Friday, September 19, 2014

Thrifty Weight Loss---Using What You Have

Weight loss plans and programs don't have to break your bank account in order for you to lose weight and size.  Whether you have a large income or small, dropping pounds and regaining your health doesn't have to cost your first born child and some extra arms and legs.  Nor should it.

There's advertisements all over the tv and web about products that are touted to help you lose weight.  They can cost as little as $6 a can (Slim Fast) to hundreds of dollars for pills and powders and miracle working equipment.

If you're like me and on a tight budget most of the time, you'll find this a little daunting.  You may have a goal in mind, a desire to get there, and then see the dollar signs attached.  It may be enough to say "forget it!" and return to regular scheduled eating.

It doesn't have to be that way!

The first thing you can, and should, do costs you nothing but time.  What is it?

Prayer.

Without the Lord, our plans go nowhere.  Talk to Him about what you want to do, with your health, your weight, with what issues helped get you weighing more than you desire.  He paid the price to be Lord and Savior over your life...talk to Him first and foremost!

The second thing you can do without breaking the budget--replace a lot of processed foods with homemade, from scratch foods.  Make your own meals!  Bake your own breads and other baked goods.  This way, you control the ingredients that go in, the level of fats and sugars, and so on.  You can make your meals as flavorful (or not) as you like, without all the extra salt, sugar, and preservatives.  Fresh fruits and vegetables in season are much less per pound/piece, and easy to work into a scratch meal.  Grow a small garden (or a large one!!) to work with your scratch meals.  Can/preserve foods as well for healthy choices through the cold months when fresh foods are higher at the stores, and you get the good foods without the extra added preservatives.

The third thing is educate yourself.  Learn about nutrition.  Go to your local library, or go online and search out information about nutrition.  There's so much to learn!!  Start with the simple basics, like what you need for a day, what to look for on labels, what minerals and nutrients and so on do what in your body.  Build on that basic knowledge and learn more about different areas of nutrition and health in general that appeal to you.  The more you know about what you are doing, the better equipped you'll feel in implementing your plan to reach your goal.

The fourth thing, learn about frugal exercise.  You don't have to join an expensive gym to get in some exercise each day.  Read up on activities you enjoy, and learn how to adapt them to your personal situation.  Activities don't have to cost anymore than the time you put into it--walking is free, as is jogging, basic exercises in your living room, etc.  A little bit of movement makes a monumental difference in your goal!

There's much more to frugal weight loss, and more avenues will be explored much more in depth as the journey continues.  Some of these I've been doing for a long while (but counteracted with poor choices), others are things I'm just getting started in.  I can't wait to share with you things I've learned through years of trying to lose (and losing a lot of weight--just jumped off the wagon and found what I lost), and what I'm doing now.

I'd love to hear from you too!  What do you do, or are interested in, concerning a more frugal way of losing weight?







If you'd like to have Sunny Patch delivered to your inbox, click to subscribe today!
Subscribe to Sunny Patch Cottage by Email




Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. Hi Angie, this is day 4 since "joining" your weight loss challenge. I have been amazed at the hope & inspiration God has given me since "partnering" with you. I believe it's the "daily encouragement" that is the life changing ingredient! I have primarily been praying & confessing my gluttony (inspired by your open confession!) Today, I am confessing some worry I have (an overwhelming to do list). God is showing me how I let the cares & worries of the world make me unproductive in the fruits of the spirit (self-control!) I am being amazed by God working in my mind & heart! And yes! I am so open & submitted to desiring His will in my life above all! I am not even thinking so much about food, though with two teenage boys in the house, it is my daily routine. I agree with you about generally avoiding processed foods & simply praying about what to eat & about my desires. I will try to post some on my blog about this journey also & reach out to others on Facebook. I was praying today for perseverance, as well as self-control, & self denial. I'm going to spend a few minutes praying for those who commented on your post right now! Love & prayers, in Jesus, Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Cynthia, you are very kind! We all need encouragement, and I'm glad to be able to be of encouragement to you.

      When you get a moment, by all means share your blog address, and I'll add it to my list of blogs at the top of the page.

      Thank you for being an encouragement to me as well! I enjoy reading your comments and words of encouragement each day!

      Lots of prayers and hugs!

      Delete

Your graceful comments are welcome!