Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Just Right For Cold Winter Days--Cinnamon Roll Cake!

Do you love cinnamon rolls?  I think they are the best thing since peanut butter.  I'd even consider putting peanut butter in one of the rolls.

Yesterday while I was cooking for the small army here, I ran across a simple muffin recipe, and I tweaked it a bit to make what I call Cinnamon Roll Cake.  It's not a Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines moist delicious best, but it made 3 pans and over half of the total is gone in under 12 hours.  I count that as a success.

I found the base recipe in A Quilter's Christmas cook book.  You can find this bad boy on Amazon.

It goes:

2 cups flour
2 Tbsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
4 Tsp baking powder
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1/2 cup nuts.

Now...MY variation on this beauty:

2 cups flour
half of a small container of cinnamon (like the size you get at Dollar General or Aldi's or the like--don't be stingy on the cinnamon)
a couple shakes of salt
4 tsp baking powder
2 cups brown sugar (trust me, you'll enjoy it)
1 cup milk
2 sticks butter, softened or melted, whatever works 
2 eggs
omit nuts

I doubled this variation and mixed it all in my stand mixer.  It was a thick batter.  I put it into 3 pans, and then baked at 375 until it was done.

The brown sugar, extra butter, and cinnamon really make it taste like a cinnamon roll!

OOOh and the icing is awesome!

Take a full package of powdered sugar, half a can of evaporated milk, and a half stick of butter, and mix it together.  Spoon it over the cakes as they come out of the oven for a nice glaze.  Or wait until they've cooled a bit and it'll be a bit thicker on top.  Let it ooze down the sides, and when you serve a piece, add a little more over the piece to let it really get in.

Yummy!!







If you'd like to have Sunny Patch delivered to your inbox, click to subscribe today!
Subscribe to Sunny Patch Cottage by Email




Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your graceful comments are welcome!