Monday, October 14, 2013

Fresh From the Oven Pan Cubano (with Recipe)

My husband loves any Cuban food he can get ahold of.  He loves the light airy breads, the flavorful meats, the seasoned rice and bean dishes, just about anything he can find that's Cuban, he'll eat.  Maybe it's because he's Cuban...who knows... :)

Anyway, I'm *not* Cuban, but I'm trying to learn how to cook various Cuban dishes for hubby.  It's not exactly the most easy thing, here in rural Kansas, to find fresh  tropical fruits and such that aren't already rotten from the trip up from the Latin American countries.  And where exactly do you find a whole suckling pig to put in the pit (and the money to buy it)?

So, I try to make smaller things, a side dish here, a sweet treat there, a loaf of bread in between.

I learned of Pan Cubano recipes from Three Guys from Miami.

With hubby drooling over the idea of light and fluffy Cuban bread, (pan Cubano is a literal translation--bread Cuban) I tried out what looked like a decent recipe.

Take 1 tablespoon active dry yeast (I buy this in pound containers, so if you are using the little packets, guesstimate), mix it with 2 teaspoons sugar and 1 1/4 cups warm water to proof.  Put this in your mixing bowl.  Mix in 4 cups of flour (I used all purpose), in 2 cup intervals.  Add in 2 teaspoons salt (I omitted this, I just don't use much salt in baking) and 1/4 cup lard (melted).







Lard??!!??  Yep, lard.  It's *real* fat, and it makes the bread lighter.  I used olive oil in mine--1/4 cup olive oil works well, doesn't taste quite the same, but makes a light loaf.  Lard is more prominently available in Cuba, as it is rendered off the pig (also common in Cuba) and already there to use.


I used my dough hooks on my little Sunbeam Mix Master.  It's not fancy, but it sure helps the shoulders and hands!!  And it makes a nice well kneaded loaf...no complaints here!!


As with any other yeast bread, do your 2 rises, one in a bowl, one in the loaf pan.


Hubby purchased a long loaf French bread pan for me on Amazon, and it just arrived the day before I baked, so it was time to test it out.   It is light weight, aluminum, and works nicely.

Make sure your oven is preheated to 350.  Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of water over your risen loaf, and pop that puppy in the ready oven.  Wait about 18-20 minutes, and you should have a nice, hot, crispy crust loaf of Cuban bread!






There you go--easy to make Pan Cubano!  Call it whatever you want, it is yummy, light, and can make a good sandwich.  We eat it sliced thick with butter and garlic, or toasted with cheese and light meats.

Tip--don't pop it out of the pan immediately after taking it out of the oven.  The crust has steam right under it and it will make the loaf deflate just a little--look at the back end of that loaf, and you'll see the difference--I messed with it all excitedly and let out some of the steam before the loaf cooled.  Never mind that I was ready to dive into it, nor that hubby was over my shoulder salivating with a fork and knife in hand....  Wait a few minutes then pop it out onto whatever you have to hold it.  I used my broiler pan.  It worked.

If you don't have long loaf pans, it will make 2 regular sized loaves easily.  Still yummy goodness from the island of Cuba!

Shared at :  The Better Mom, A Proverbs 31 Wife, The Modest Mom, Time Warp Wife, Growing Home, Walking Redeemed, Deep Roots At Home, A Wise Woman Builds Her Home, Review Wire, Sugar and Dots Someday Crafts The Trendy Treehouse Jam Hands, Make Ahead Meals For Moms, Keeping It Simple Crafts, Skip to My Lou, Flour Me With Love, Creating My Way to Success, Say Not Sweet Anne


If you'd like to have Sunny Patch delivered to your inbox, click to subscribe today!
Subscribe to Sunny Patch Cottage by Email




Print Friendly and PDF

And...a shameless plug for Craftsy!
Online Bread Making Class

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this! I have made cuban bread for years, from a recipe out of THE TIGHTWAD GAZETTE. However, I always made it into a big round loaf. This looks like a good sandwich loaf to make. I've printed it out, and will be hitting the kitchen in a few to try it. Thank you agina--great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is awesome, and a family favorite! Even Papa (from Cuba) likes it, although says he can tell it doesn't have the lard in it. I gotta work on that. :) Happy baking!

      Delete
  2. I can't imagine no salt in bread. It looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not bad--really! You can definitely leave in the salt, I just don't mess with it myself. I've found that by omitting it, the yeast keeps working until the heat kills it, and it rises more without restraint. More for the money! I may just have to try with salt sometime and see how it turns out in taste :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for linking this recipe up at Recipe Sharing Monday! The new link party is up and I'd love to see you back. Have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this lovely, yummy goodness, Angie!
    Your blog is quite fancy! I love the look :-)
    Looking forward to your next post!
    Blessings :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your graceful comments are welcome!