Monday, October 21, 2013

Fresh Baked Apple Cider Sourdough Bread





It is that time of the year, fresh apples, apple cider mills running full steam, pumpkin patches, pretty fall leaves, and fresh hearty breads baking.  (insert Tim "the Toolman" Taylor grunts here)

Hubby brought home a gallon of cider from the Louisburg Cider Mill, which is around 60 or so miles away but sells their cider here at a locally owned grocery store.  It's wonderful!  He requested some hearty bread made with this cider, and so I obliged.



Now, this is a recipe I threw together on the fly.  I have no real recipe or name for this.  But, if you're used to a "pinch" of this and a "bit" of that, you'll do just fine.

This recipe calls for sourdough.  Why?  I have half of a stock pot brewing in the fridge that needs used, so I threw some in.  It's a rye/white brew I started a year and a half ago, froze gallons of it, made hundreds of biscuits, breads, cakes, cookies, you name it out of it.  I poured in 1 full cup of the sourdough brew in a big mixing bowl attached to the Sunbeam Mix Master.

I let that warm up, as it's been refrigamarated for a long while and had a cold.  While it was warming up I added in 3 tablespoons of bulk yeast, 1/4 cup honey, and a cup of warm water.  It made the sourdough burp and pass gass, and the bulk yeast was pretty happy too.  I used the dough hooks to kinda mix it up a little and spread things around, and let it set a few minutes so it can burp and fart proudly in the bowl.

Then add in 3 cups of flour.  I put in some whole wheat first, and then worked that in to the liquid.  From there I put in a cup and a half of apple cider, and worked that in with the hooks.  Let me tell you, the yeast in the sourdough and the bulk yeast love apple cider and all that sweetness as much as it does honey.  I drizzled in some olive oil for grins, just a smidge, and then put in 2 to 3 cups of white flour.  Basically use as much as you need so that when it is all mixed it will make a ball on the hooks.  You'll have to use your judgement on that one.  I put in flour in 1/2 cup intervals just to test and make sure, and usually end up around a total of 5 to 6 cups of all flour combined.

Once your hooks have mixed this up and made a nice ball of dough, put the dough in a bowl that is well oiled.  Again, I used olive oil--it's a staple in our house, but use whatever you want.  I'm not picky, if we don't have olive on hand, I'll use vegetable, no biggie.  Cover with a towel, plastic, whatever, and let this baby rise til at least double.  Depending on the heat/humidity in your house, could be a half hour, an hour, somewhere in between, who knows.

When it grows to at least double, punch it down and pop it into a greased pan or two.  I like the long French bread pan hubby gave me for my birthday, and one batch makes one long loaf.  It will also make 2 regular sized ones nicely.  Or a dozen or two rolls.

Let this rise again, and then put into a preheated 350 degree oven.

Tip:  put some water, like maybe 1/4 cup or less, over the top of your loaf/loaves.  It will make a crispy crust as it bakes.  Or, put in a pan of water in the oven alongside the pans of bread.  Bake for 20 or 30 minutes or until it's golden brown on top.  YUM!





This makes a loaf perfect for slicing!  I was able to make slices the same size or slightly thinner than store bought bread, and make toasted sandwiches for supper with plenty left over.

Enjoy!


Shared with:  Jam Hands, Make Ahead Meals For Moms, Keeping It Simple Crafts, Skip to My Lou, Flour Me With Love, The Better Mom, The Modest Mom, Creating My Way to Success, Say Not Sweet Anne, Growing Home, Time Warp Wife, Sugar Bee, Lady Bug Blessings, A Wise Woman Builds Her Home, Deep Roots At Home, Raising Homemakers, Walking Redeemed, Buns in My Oven, Someday Crafts, Ducks'n a Row



If you'd like to have Sunny Patch delivered to your inbox, click to subscribe today!
Subscribe to Sunny Patch Cottage by Email




Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree this looks like it does make a loaf for perfect slicing. I love different flavors of bread. This one sounds perfect for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete

Your graceful comments are welcome!